Young Gardener's Activities for March!
Pot Pets - The perfect gift idea for Easter!
Easter Colouring Sheets!
Let's get composting!
Composting is fun and helps support the growth of all the plants in the garden.
The Composting Cycle starts with us eating yummy fresh food. Any food scraps such as fruit and vegetable peelings should then be put in a special compost bin or area. Over time, the food scraps then decompose to make compost, this compost is rich in fertilizer nutrients which you then dig into the rest of your soil to help plants, fruit and vegetables in your garden grow.
You can compost any non-animal food scraps, here is a handy list:
- Fruits, vegetables, peelings, bread, cereal, coffee grounds and filters, tea leaves and tea bags (with no staples)
- Grass clippings.
- Brush trimmings.
- Vegetarian animal Manure (Cows, Horses, Rabbits, Hamsters)
- Wood shavings/saw dust
Pot pets are so much fun! They are so easy to make and you can make a whole family of them!
With Easter just around the corner, you could always buy a small potted plant from us, pop in your new 'pot pet' and give it to a family member for Easter.
You will need:
- Craft foam or card
- Pens and pencils
- Pipe cleaners
- Lolly pop sticks
- Googly eyes
- PVA Glue
- Template (Free to download)
- Cut out the templates
- Draw around the templates onto your coloured card or foam
- Cut out your head shapes carefully with scissors
- Stick the eyes on with PVA glue
- Draw on the face of your pet pot, nose, mouth, whiskers perhaps?
- turn them over and using the PVA glue stick a lolly pop stick to the back of your pot pet's head.
- Wrap a pipe cleaner around the lolly pop stick a couple of times until secure for arms.